HEYBALI – A Swiss national has been sentenced to one year in prison by a Denpasar court after posting a video mocking Bali’s sacred Day of Silence, a case that has become a pointed reminder to visitors of just how seriously the island’s cultural and religious observances are treated under Indonesian law.
Luzian Andrin Zgraggen was found guilty Thursday, August 20, of broadcasting content via electronic means with intent to reach the public, an offense under Article 301, paragraph 1 of Indonesia’s newly enacted Criminal Code. Presiding judge Tjokorda Putra Budi Pastima delivered the verdict, ruling that prosecutors had proven the charges “legally and convincingly.”
A Sentence Lighter Than What Prosecutors Sought
The one-year sentence, reduced by time already served in detention, came in below the one year and three months requested by public prosecutor Febrina Irlanda. The court’s reasoning offers a useful window into how Indonesian judges weigh cultural offenses committed by foreign visitors.
Judges cited aggravating factors, namely that Zgraggen’s actions had disturbed public order and generated social conflict. But they also credited a list of mitigating circumstances: no prior criminal record, cooperative and respectful courtroom conduct, an admission of guilt, an expression of remorse, a formal apology, and a stated commitment not to reoffend.
Notably, the court also factored in something that speaks directly to the experience of first-time visitors during Nyepi: Zgraggen’s unfamiliarity with the observance itself. “The defendant was a foreign national visiting Bali for the first time, coinciding with the observance of Nyepi, and therefore did not understand what Nyepi is as a ritual that must be observed and adhered to without exception,” the judge said.
What Actually Happened During Nyepi
The case dates back to March 19, 2026, when Zgraggen was in Bali during Nyepi, the island’s annual Day of Silence, during which the entire island effectively shuts down. Streets empty, lights dim, and residents and visitors alike are required to remain indoors, refrain from activity, and avoid making noise, restrictions enforced by traditional Pecalang security patrols across the island.
According to court proceedings, hotel staff had already briefed Zgraggen on Nyepi’s rules before the incident, including the requirement to stay inside without leaving the property. Growing hungry and unable to go out to find food, Zgraggen became frustrated, a frustration he then channeled into a 22-second video posted to his Instagram account, @luzzysun.
The footage showed him walking through darkened surroundings with on-screen text reading, in part, “Fuck nyepi day and fuck your rules too.”
From Deleted Post to Viral Backlash
The video triggered immediate and intense backlash from Balinese social media users, many of whom screen-recorded the content and reposted it before Zgraggen could remove it. He did briefly delete the original post, but once it had already spread widely, he reposted the content with an additional caption: “They want smoke fr.”
That second post only deepened the public anger, and Zgraggen reportedly began receiving a wave of critical direct messages on Instagram.
How the Case Reached Police
In an unusual turn, Zgraggen contacted a local figure, Ni Luh Putu Ary Pertami Djelantik, seeking protection and offering an apology. He was directed to her residence, where officers from the Bali Police Cyber Crime Directorate were waiting to take him into custody for legal proceedings.
A Case Watched Closely Across Bali’s Foreign Community
Zgraggen’s defense team has accepted the court’s ruling. Prosecutors, meanwhile, said they are still weighing whether to pursue further legal action.
For the tens of thousands of foreign visitors and residents who experience Nyepi in Bali each year, the case lands as a clear signal from Indonesian courts: cultural insensitivity toward the island’s religious observances, particularly when broadcast publicly online, carries real legal consequences, not just social media backlash.
