Governor Koster tells Vice President Gibran the March 1 deadline cannot be met due to unfinished facilities, while local governments await central government directive.
NUSA DUA, Bali — The planned closure of Bali’s primary landfill has been postponed after Governor I Wayan Koster informed Vice President Gibran Rakabuming Raka that the March 1 deadline is no longer feasible.
The discussion took place Friday during a tourism industry meeting at the Bali Tourism Polytechnic in Nusa Dua, where waste management emerged as a central concern alongside visitor arrival figures.
Gibran directly raised the issue with Koster during the session.
“I entrust this to the Governor—upstream to downstream needs to be carefully maintained. The habit of sorting waste from households must be encouraged. In the near term, what needs follow-up is the Suwung landfill issue. March, Governor?” Gibran asked.
“March 1,” Koster confirmed.
Gibran then called for coordinated resolution of the disputes arising from the closure plan.
“Coincidentally, there were already protests about this issue this morning. We will immediately follow up on the landfill matter,” he said.
Current Status
The Suwung landfill, located in Denpasar, serves as the primary waste disposal site for Denpasar City and Badung Regency. Its planned closure has been under discussion for months, with implications for waste management across the island’s most populous and tourism-intensive areas.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Koster explained that field conditions in both Denpasar and Badung do not yet support closure.
“The Minister of Environment and Forestry’s plan was to close Suwung on March 1, so that leaves only 15 days. The situation on the ground in Denpasar and Badung does not allow it,” Koster said.
He outlined that waste-to-energy facilities remain under development, requiring time for equipment procurement and construction. These processes cannot be completed simultaneously and are now targeted for mid-November.
“Only then can the waste volume at Suwung be reduced to zero,” he added.
Government Response
Koster said the Vice President indicated the issue would be reviewed together with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry and the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources.
Badung Regent I Wayan Adi Arnawa, who also attended the meeting, said local governments conveyed the need for central government policies that consider regional conditions.
“The principle is that we want a policy from the central government regarding the Suwung closure issue,” Adi said.
Local Preparations
Badung Regency has been implementing upstream waste management measures, including the development of modern teba (traditional family yard) facilities in villages. The regency has allocated approximately Rp 330 billion for waste management programs.
“Total around Rp 330 billion, we have prepared for waste management,” Adi stated.
Denpasar Mayor I Gusti Ngurah Jaya Negara has also participated in coordination meetings regarding the landfill’s future.
Previous Timeline
The Bali Provincial Government announced in January that it would not proceed with the previously planned February closure of Suwung. At that time, officials indicated operations would extend until November to allow for alternative facilities to become operational.
Environment and Forestry Minister Hanif Faisol Nurofiq had previously emphasized that waste management in Bali cannot be handled partially, citing the island’s status as a global tourism destination.
“Waste management must be carried out very carefully,” Hanif said.
Next Steps
Authorities have not confirmed whether the November target will be met or if further extensions may be necessary. The timeline depends on progress with waste-to-energy infrastructure and coordination between central and regional governments.
Gibran indicated that a follow-up meeting would be scheduled within the coming week.
“Waste—next week we will meet immediately. This is very urgent, very urgent, it must be formulated soon,” he said.











































