Timeline: How a Bar Confrontation in Kuta Led to a British Tourist’s Death, and His Four Alleged Attackers Fleeing to Australia

British tourist death Kuta bar attack timeline

British tourist death Kuta bar attack timeline

HEYBALI – A dispute that began with one man approaching a woman at a Kuta bar has ended in the death of a British tourist, four Australian suspects already back home, and a Bali police investigation now racing to catch up with events that unfolded weeks before they were even reported.

Here is what has been established so far in the case of Paul Innes Dougan.

A Confrontation That Started Over a Woman at the Bar

According to Iptu I Gede Adi Saputra Jaya, spokesperson for Denpasar Metropolitan Police, the incident began at a Kuta bar in the early hours of Wednesday, August 5, at approximately 2 a.m. Witnesses told police that one of the men had first approached a woman at the venue.

What followed escalated quickly. “One of the perpetrators reacted negatively, after which the four individuals struck the victim,” Adi said.

The beating left Dougan with facial bruising and reportedly impaired his ability to walk. He did not receive medical treatment until three days later, a delay investigators are now examining as part of the broader timeline.

From His Hotel Room to the ICU

In the immediate aftermath, Dougan returned to his hotel in Kuta rather than seeking treatment. He was later collected by staff from Murni Teguh Hospital for medical care, before his son, Liam Michael Dougan, brought him to the emergency department at BIMC Hospital the following day.

Dougan remained under treatment at BIMC until his death. His body is currently held at Dharma Yadnya General Hospital in Denpasar.

A Son’s Instagram Post Revealed the Severity Before Police Did

Details of Dougan’s deteriorating condition first reached the public not through official police statements, but through his son’s personal Instagram account, @liamdougann.

Liam revealed that his father had been treated in intensive care prior to his death. According to his posts, Dougan suffered broken ribs and required three separate surgical procedures, along with four blood transfusions, injuries consistent with a serious physical assault rather than a routine bar altercation.

Investigators have since identified four individuals believed to be responsible for the attack, all Australian nationals, using the initials RGG, PAM, JRM, and TRZ.

The Suspects Left Indonesia Just One Day After the Attack

Perhaps the most striking detail in the timeline: all four suspects had already left the country well before the case was formally reported to police, and long before Dougan’s death.

“Based on immigration crossing data, the four individuals are recorded as having left Indonesian territory on August 6, 2026,” Adi confirmed.

That means the men departed from I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport bound for Australia just one day after the alleged assault, and nearly two weeks before the case was officially filed.

An Autopsy Will Determine the Official Cause of Death

Police have not yet confirmed whether Dougan’s death is directly attributable to the alleged assault. To establish an official cause of death, investigators are scheduled to conduct an autopsy at Prof. Ngoerah General Hospital in Denpasar.

“Investigators will coordinate with a forensic doctor to carry out the autopsy process on the body,” Adi said.

Police say they continue examining each suspect’s specific role during the assault, along with the sequence of events both before and after the incident. Investigators are also looking into the relationships between the four suspects, as well as any prior connection between the suspects and Dougan himself.

With all four suspects already back in Australia and the official cause of death still pending confirmation through autopsy, the case remains far from resolved, leaving open questions about how, and whether, international cooperation will factor into what happens next.

Exit mobile version