HEYBALI – A sexual assault case in Bali that went viral after a man was caught allegedly groping a woman on a motorcycle has ended without further legal action after the victim decided not to pursue a formal complaint.
The incident occurred in Bongkasa village, Abiansemal district, Badung Regency, where 25-year-old IWCA allegedly grabbed the victim’s intimate area as she was riding a motorcycle. The 31-year-old woman, identified by the initials NPS, later chose not to continue with the case, police said.
Her decision was influenced by the man’s family circumstances. IWCA is married and has two young children.
Victim Decides Not to Continue the Case
Aiptu Ni Nyoman Ayu Inastuti, public information officer for Badung Police, said Thursday that the victim had decided against pursuing the report after considering the impact the case could have on the man’s young family.
“The victim essentially did not want to continue her report because the suspect’s children are still very young,” Ayu said.
The decision brings the case to an end from the victim’s side, although it does not erase the seriousness of the alleged incident.
The case had drawn significant attention in Bali after footage of the man’s capture circulated widely on social media.
Man Allegedly Admitted to Similar Incidents
Police said IWCA, who works as a machine technician, allegedly admitted during an initial examination that he had carried out similar acts in the past.
According to Ayu, he claimed to have committed similar acts around 10 times in the Abiansemal and Petang areas.
The statement was reportedly made spontaneously while he was being questioned about the incident. Police said IWCA had been returning home from work in Ubud when the latest incident occurred.
However, there is an important distinction between an admission during questioning and a formally reported criminal case.
As of Thursday, police said no other alleged victims had come forward to file official complaints over similar incidents in the area.
Police Say Other Victims Can Still Report
Badung Police said the absence of additional reports means there are currently no separate cases from other alleged victims being formally processed.
Ayu said police would investigate and follow up if anyone else comes forward with an official report.
That leaves open the possibility that the case could receive further attention if other people who believe they were victims decide to contact authorities.
Video of the Arrest Went Viral
The incident first gained widespread attention on social media on Monday night, Aug. 17, after footage showing the man’s capture circulated online.
Residents reportedly detained IWCA in Banjar Kutaraga, Bongkasa, after the alleged assault left the woman shouting in distress.
For now, however, the case will not proceed further based on the victim’s decision not to continue her complaint.
The story also illustrates a difficult reality in assault cases: a decision to stop pursuing a complaint can be shaped not only by what happened, but by the consequences a victim believes legal action could have for everyone involved.
