HEYBALI – Roberto Carlos spent two decades making defenders look slow. Now, a social media post from a Turkish member of parliament has him trending for a completely different reason.
What Happened
Ali Şahin, a lawmaker from Turkey’s ruling AK Party, posted on X on August 17, 2026, claiming that Roberto Carlos has converted to Islam. Şahin said he learned the news during a trip to São Paulo, where he met Sheikh Jihad Hammadeh, a religious adviser at the National Association of Islamic Jurists (ANAJI) and, according to Şahin, one of the 500 most influential figures in the Islamic world.
According to Şahin, Hammadeh told him that Roberto Carlos had been in contact with him for some time. The former defender reportedly visited Hammadeh about four weeks before the post, at a gathering hosted by the Islamic Charitable Youth League of Brazil in São Paulo, and recited the shahada, the declaration of faith that formally marks a person’s entry into Islam.
Şahin congratulated Roberto Carlos on the reported conversion in his post and wished him and his family “peace, health and prosperity.”
Why This Story Traveled So Fast
Few footballers carry the kind of global name recognition Roberto Carlos still has. He won the Champions League three times with Real Madrid, lifted the World Cup with Brazil in 2002, and became one of the most recognizable free-kick takers the sport has ever produced.
That history is exactly why a single social media post could turn into international news within hours. Roberto Carlos also has a direct link to Turkish football, having played for Fenerbahçe and later coached Sivasspor, which explains why a Turkish politician was positioned to break the story in the first place.
The Part Nobody Has Confirmed Yet
Here is the detail that matters most for anyone following this story: Roberto Carlos himself has not said a word about it. As of this writing, neither the 51 year old nor his family nor any representative has issued a statement confirming or denying the reported conversion.
Everything currently circulating traces back to one source, Şahin’s account of what Hammadeh told him. That does not make the claim untrue, but it does mean the story currently rests on secondhand information rather than Roberto Carlos’s own confirmation.
A Detail Getting Mixed Into the Story
Roberto Carlos’s personal life has added extra fuel to the conversation. He recently married Souheila Tahiri, a Morocco and Lebanon born football agent licensed by FIFA, in a ceremony reported to have included Islamic elements and a sheikh in attendance.
It is worth being careful here. A wedding with religious touches, or a spouse with Muslim heritage, is not proof on its own that Roberto Carlos has converted. The two stories are being discussed together online, but they are not the same claim.
Why It Resonates Beyond Turkey
Indonesia is home to the world’s largest Muslim population and a football culture that runs just as deep, which is part of why this story has spread quickly among Indonesian sports fans and social media users as well. For Bali’s large community of football followers, expats, and residents tuned into international sports news, it is another reminder of how fast an unverified claim about a global icon can circulate before the person at the center of it says anything at all.











































